In some instances, an IP address might be blocked from accessing services on the Smarthost platform. This is typically a security measure intended to protect both our servers and your data from potential threats. The blockage is usually facilitated by the SmartHost firewall on our Linux systems.
Reasons for an IP blockage can include but are not limited to:
- Multiple failed login attempts: If there are too many unsuccessful attempts to login from a particular IP address, it may be automatically blocked to prevent a potential brute force attack.
- Suspicious activity: If an IP address is associated with behaviour that resembles a DDOS attack, spamming, or any other form of malicious activity, it may be blocked.
- Manual blockage by an admin: Administrators might manually block an IP if it is associated with suspicious or harmful activities.
If your IP address has been blocked, you can unblock it via the Smarthost customer portal by following the steps below.
- Open a web browser and navigate to the Smarthost customer portal at https://portal.smarthost.ie.
- Enter your login credentials to access your account.
- Once logged in, select “Services” from the main menu, then choose “My Services” from the dropdown.
- A list of your services will be displayed. Locate the service you are blocked from, then click on the three dots icon beside it. From the dropdown, select “View Details.”
- In the new page that opens, select “IP Unban Center” from the menu on the left side.
- Next, look for the padlock icon on the right side and click on it. This will open a field where you can enter the IP address you wish to unblock.
- Enter the IP address that you want to unblock and then click on the “Unblock” or “Submit” button.
- Your IP address should now be unblocked. You can confirm this by trying to access the service you were previously unable to.
Blocking IP addresses is an essential security measure to protect our systems and your data. However, sometimes legitimate users can find their IP addresses blocked due to various reasons. The procedure outlined above provides an easy way for customers to unblock their IP addresses through the Smarthost customer portal.
If you continue to have problems after following these steps, please contact Smarthost customer support for further assistance.